Bacon Chops with Apple Sauce
Smoky Bacon Chops make a delicious autumn dish and the humble bacon chop is enjoying a come back. It's a great family staple and relatively cheap.
- 1 kg potatoes organic, peeled, cut 5cm chunks
- 1 cabbage organic, core removed, shredded, or other green veg
- 20 g butter organic
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 4 bacon chops 140g - 220g each
- 500 g apples organic, peeled, cored and sliced,
- 3 tsp brown sugar organic, fairtrade
- Place a pan of lightly salted water on to boil. Add the potatoes to the water and simmer for 10 minutes until soft.
- Place the cabbage in a steamer and steam over the top of the potatoes for the last 4 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, mash with a little butter or milk and leave to one side.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon chops for about 5 minutes each side. The chops are cooked when the juices run clear if you place a skewer in the thickest part. Remove from the pan when cooked and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Put the apple slices in a pan with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Bring to a boil ten reduce the heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook for 6 - 8 minutes until the apples are soft. Remove from the heat and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Stir in the butter and sugar. If the sauce is too thin, put it back on the heat and stir gently until it thickens.
- Serve the bacon chops with the mash, cabbage and apple sauce.
In a hurry or not all eating together? You can prepare the mash and the apple sauce in advance then re-heat them whilst you cook the chop and the cabbage to be ready in 10 minutes.
Calories: 588kcalCarbohydrates: 73gProtein: 49gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 393mgPotassium: 2625mgFiber: 15gSugar: 28gVitamin A: 600IUVitamin C: 187.3mgCalcium: 180mgIron: 3.8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!