Baked macaroni and green vegetables
Macaroni is a real comfort food dish and with added green veg it's a winner all round. I've used leek and broccoli in this recipe, but you can use any green veg, the point is to get some in there. You can make this in advance then just bake when you're ready, 30 minutes if cooking straight from the fridge.
- 250 g macaroni organic
- 200 g broccoli organic, washed, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 corn on the cob organic, or tinned sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 leeks organic, trimmed and diced
- 300 g low fat creme fraiche organic
- 1/2 tsp English mustard organic
- 120 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- 55 g roquefort cheese organic, chopped 1cm cubes, optional
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 50 g breadcrumbs organic
- 25 g parmesan organic, finely grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions until it is almost done, then drain.
- Remove the fresh corn from the cob and add to the pasta water along with the broccoli for the last 2 minutes. If you're using tinned sweetcorn, don't add this yet.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large frying pan and fry the leek over a medium heat for 8 minutes until soft.
- Stir the dijon mustard into the creme fraiche.
- Mix the cooked leeks together with the macaroni, broccoli,sweetcorn/tinned sweetcorn, creme fraiche, cheddar cheese, roquefort cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour it into an oven proof dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese, sprinkle over the top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
In a hurry or not all eating together? You can prepare this in advance and keep it in the fridge for 24 hours. It can also be re-heated. Cover it with foil to prevent it drying out. If your children are fussy about vegetables, try whizzing them up in a food processor then stirring them in.
Calories: 400kcalCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 21gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 598mgPotassium: 344mgFiber: 6gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 1200IUVitamin C: 70.1mgCalcium: 260mgIron: 2.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!