Baked Sweet Peppers stuffed with Couscous
I usually bake 2 stuffed peppers per person, smaller children may only want one. Use red or yellow peppers, but not green ones as they are more bitter tasting. Substitute the feta for vegan feta if required.
- 8 red peppers organic, halved, cored, seeds removed
- 250 g couscous organic, fairtrade
- 400 ml vegetable stock organic
- 3 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 courgettes organic, diced into 1cm cubes
- 2 red onions organic, diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 lemons organic, fairtrade, juice of
- 200 g feta cheese organic, cut 1cm cubes
- 10 g fresh mint organic, leaves chopped
- 320 g green salad organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and boil a kettle.
- Place the peppers in a pan of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes, then remove and drain.
- Put the couscous in a bowl, add the hot vegetable stock, cover with clingfilm or a tight fitting lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the courgette and onion until soft.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork. Add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, courgettes, onions, feta cheese and most of the chopped mint.
- Place the pepper halves on a baking tray, spoon in the couscous mixture and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mint and serve with a green salad and the remaining couscous
In a hurry or not all eating together? The peppers can be prepared in advance and cooked when ready. Alternatively, they can be re-heated or eaten cold.
Calories: 406kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 17gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 883mgPotassium: 1127mgFiber: 10gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 12550IUVitamin C: 678.2mgCalcium: 210mgIron: 3.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!