Baked Sweet Peppers stuffed with Couscous
This recipe is based on 2 peppers per person, smaller children may only want one. Use red or yellow peppers, but not green ones as they are more bitter tasting.
- 8 red peppers organic, halved, cored, seeds removed
- 250 g couscous organic, fairtrade
- 400 ml vegetable stock organic
- 3 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 courgettes organic, diced into 1cm cubes
- 2 red onions organic, diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 lemons organic, fairtrade, juice of
- 200 g feta cheese organic, cut 1cm cubes
- 10 g fresh mint organic, leaves chopped
- 320 g green salad organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and boil a kettle.
- Place the peppers in a pan of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes, then remove and drain.
- Put the couscous in a bowl, add the hot vegetable stock, cover with clingfilm or a tight fitting lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the courgette and onion until soft.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork. Add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, courgettes, onions, feta cheese and most of the chopped mint.
- Place the pepper halves on a baking tray, spoon in the couscous mixture and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mint and serve with a green salad and the remaining couscous
In a hurry or not all eating together? The peppers can be prepared in advance and cooked when ready. Alternatively, they can be re-heated or eaten cold.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 883mg | Potassium: 1127mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 12550IU | Vitamin C: 678.2mg | Calcium: 210mg | Iron: 3.1mg