Banana Muffins & banana bread are hugely popular right now and a brilliant way to use up bananas that are past their best. Bananas are one of the most wasted foods and in the UK we throw away around 1.4 million everyday, These muffins are a tasty ways to use up any that may otherwise go to waste
- 200 g plain flour organic
- 0.5 tsp baking powder organic
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda organic
- 1 tsp cinnamon fairtrade
- 3 large Bananas or 4 smaller ones organic, fairtrade & diced or mashed
- 150 g Caster sugar organic, fairtrade
- 1 egg organic, free range
- 75g butter organic, melted
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/360°F/gas mark 4
- Melt the butter either in the microwave or in a small pan and set to one side
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a mixing bowl
- In another bowl add the chopped bananas, sugar, egg and cooled butter and whisk together with an electric hand whisk. If you don't have an electric whisk, mash the bananas and use a hand whisk to mix together.
- Sieve the flour mixture into the wet mixture and fold in using a spoon. Try not to overmix as you want the mixture to be airy and light.
- Divide the mixture between 10-12 muffin cases and cook on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the muffins and leave to cool
Store the muffins in an airtight container and eat within 3-4 days.
Calories: 2230kcalCarbohydrates: 386gProtein: 31gFat: 68gSaturated Fat: 41gCholesterol: 325mgSodium: 1945mgPotassium: 1542mgFiber: 16gSugar: 194gVitamin A: 2338IUVitamin C: 31mgCalcium: 246mgIron: 11mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!