Basic Tomato Pasta Sauce
I always keep some of this basic pasta sauce in the freezer as it's a great standby and my fussy veg eater loves it. Packed with 6 veg, it's great on its own or use it in a casserole with chicken. I recommend doubling the quantities and making a batch.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 red onion organic, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper organic, de-seeded and diced
- 1 courgette organic, diced
- 1 aubergines organic, cubed
- 500 g passata organic
- 150 g spinach organic
- 40 g Parmesan cheese organic, grated, to serve (optional)
- Put pasta on to cook as per packet instructions
- Add the olive oil to a large pan and gently fry the onion until soft.
- Add the peppers, courgette and aubergine and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the passata to the vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer for 1 minutes
- Blitz some or all of the sauce together if required. This is a great way to 'hide' the vegetables if you need to, but also gives it a lovely flavour.
- Serve with pasta and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
In a hurry or not all eating together? The sauce can be cooked in advance and re-heated when ready. If you are in a real hurry, use fresh tagliatelle which only takes a few minutes to cook. I freeze this in individual portions using empty jam jars as it's the perfect standby.
Calories: 214kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 9gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 233mgPotassium: 1260mgFiber: 8gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 5288IUVitamin C: 75mgCalcium: 202mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!