Not much beats a good home made lasagne. This is great for feeding a crowd at weekends as it can all be prepared in advance and left to cook. It can be frozen for up to 4 months. The sauce needs to simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes. If you have the time, let it simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours, or cook in the oven 160°C as this will really enhance the flavour.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onion organic, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot organic, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 500 g lean minced beef organic
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes organic
- 200 g passata organic
- 1 tsp italian seasoning organic
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce organic
- 250 ml red wine organic, fairtrade or red cooking wine
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 12 lasagna sheets organic, depending on the size of your dish
- 100 g green salad to serve
- 40 g butter organic
- 40 g plain flour organic
- 300 ml milk organic
- 300 ml vegetable stock organic
- 1/2 tsp English mustard organic
- 130 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion and carrot for around 5 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the garlic and fry for 2 more minutes. Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and add the mince. Cook for 3-4 minutes until browned. Break it down with a wooden spoon and keep stirring so there are no lumps. If you are cooking a lot of mince, you may need to do this in batches, otherwise you are stewing it not frying it.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic back into the pan. Add the tinned tomatoes, passata, herbs, worcestershire sauce and red wine if using and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent it sticking. Put a lid on the pan if you are leaving it to simmer for longer.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
To make the cheese sauce
- Put the butter, flour, milk, stock and mustard in a pan over a medium to high heat and stir until the sauce starts to come to the boil and thicken. Remove from the heat, add 85g of cheese, season with salt and pepper and stir until the cheese has melted.
To assemble the lasagna
- Depending on the size of your lasagne dish, spoon 1/3 or half of the meat sauce into the bottom of the dish, lay lasagna sheets on top in a single layer, not overlapping, cover with some of the cheese sauce and repeat. Finish off with the cheese sauce and sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared ahead of time and re-heated. it can be frozen for 3 - 4 months Tip. A lasagne dish approx. 25cm x 17cm is big enough for 4 people and means you don’t have to break up any lasagne sheets.
Calories: 961kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 937mg | Potassium: 1009mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 102% | Vitamin C: 33% | Calcium: 30% | Iron: 26%