Blue Cheese and Winter Vegetable Gratin
You can make this with any blue cheese. I have chosen stilton, but if you want a milder flavour, use dolcelatte or gorgonzola instead. This one is a great winter warmer and cooking the vegetables first means you can have this dish on the table in shorter time than a usual gratin. It can also be made in advance and kept in the fridge and needs just 25-30 minutes in the oven when you get home. Serve with kale or another green winter vegetable such as broccoli for a really colourful dish.
- 2 carrots organic, scrubbed & sliced about 1/2cm thick
- 2 parsnips organic, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 1 swede organic, peeled and diced 1cm cubes
- 500 g potatoes organic, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 leeks organic, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp breadcrumbs organic
- 200 g blue cheese organic, Stilton or choose a milder cheese
- 100 g low fat creme fraiche organic
- 250 g kale organic, or other seasonal green veg to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Put a pan of lightly salted water on to boil, add the carrots, parsnips, swede and whole potatoes, bring it back to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- At the same time, add the olive oil to the frying pan and over a medium heat, fry the leeks for about 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil in the pan. Add the breadcrumbs to the pan and gently fry for a few minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and put the potatoes onto the chopping board to cool slightly.
- To assemble, place the carrots, parsnip, swede and leeks in an oven proof dish, break the stilton into small pieces and stir it in. Using the back of a spoon, spread the crème fraiche over the top. Slice the potatoes about 5mm thickness and place in a single layer over the top. Finally, sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the potato. Place in the oven for 25 minutes. If cooking straight from the fridge, you may need 30 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, steam the kale so it is ready to serve.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? This dish can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for 3 - 4 days. You can also re-heat individual portions.