British Rose Veal Escalope with mash and spring greens
British Rose Veal is very different from white veal, which is the one associated with rearing calves in cages. Rose Veal is produced in the UK to high animal welfare standards. As a by product of the dairy industry, we are being encouraged to eat more Rose Veal. It has a delicate flavour, is naturally low in fat and contains good levels of omega-3. British Rose Veal is now stocked in many supermarkets as well as available from British farms online and is endorsed by the RSPCA and Compassion in World Farming
- 600 g British Rose Veal Escalopes about 120g - 150g each fillet
- 14 g plain flour organic, 7g = 1 tbsp
- 900 g potatoes organic, peeled, cut 2.5cm chunks
- 2 lemons organic, fairtrade
- 1 leeks thinly sliced, organic
- 400 g spring green cabbage organic
- 10 g butter organic (optional)
- 10 ml milk organic (optional)
- 4 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- Lay the escalopes on a piece of cling film and gently bash with a rolling pin so they are about 2 - 3mm thick. Dust both sides with the flour and place to one side.
- Put the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water and boil for 8 - 10 minutes until tender.
- Steam the leeks and cabbage for about 5 minutes, until tender. You can do this in a steamer placed over the top of the potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes then tip them back into the pan and mash them with the butter and milk.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the escalopes on both sides for 2 - 3 minutes each side.
- Serve with a good squeeze of lemon juice and the mash and spring green cabbage.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? You can make the mash in advance and keep it warm. Prepare the escalopes and fry them when you are ready whilst you steam the leeks and cabbage.
Calories: 528kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 41gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 38mgPotassium: 1254mgFiber: 9gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 600IUVitamin C: 130.4mgCalcium: 100mgIron: 2.5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!