Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Vegetable Kebabs
This is great on the BBQ and guaranteed to impress. You can also cook it in the oven or even half and half. For best results, you should marinade overnight, but anything from 1 hour is fine. A butterflied leg of lamb is just a leg of lamb with the bone removed. When it is laid out, it is shaped like a butterfly. Ask your butcher to remove the bone for you. Some supermarkets will also do this. The cooking times here are a guide. it depends on how thick your meat it, how hot your BBQ is and whether you like your lamb rare, medium or well done.
- 1.2 kg leg of lamb butterflied, boneless weight
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary organic, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme organic, chopped
- 2 lemons organic, fairtrade, zest of
- 4 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 100 ml olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 750 g new potatoes organic, washed
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary organic, leaves chopped
- 1 yellow peppers organic, de-seeded and cut 3cm chunks
- 1 courgettes organic, sliced into chunks
- 1 red onions organic, peeled cut into wedges
- 100 g cherry tomatoes organic
- 320 g green salad organic (optional)
- Place the lamb skin side down and make slashes about 2.5cm deep in the fleshy side but be careful no to cut all the way through. Place all the marinade ingredients in a plastic freezer bag, add the lamb, secure tightly and give a good shake. Leave to marinade in the fridge from 1 hour to overnight.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in cold water for 30 minutes to stop them from burning on the BBQ.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Place the lamb skin side down directly on the oven rack with a tray underneath to catch the juices. Cook for 25 - 35 minutes. Remove it from the oven, cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Oven & BBQ
- As above. Cook for 25 minutes then remove from the oven and cook each side on the BBQ for about 10 minutes until the outside is crisp. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Place on the rack about 15cm above the coals, skin side down and baste with the juices. Cook for around 15 - 20 minutes each side. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Whilst the lamb is cooking, place the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water and cook for about 15 minutes until almost tender. Drain, then tip them back into the pan and add a splash of olive oil and season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Wrap them up in a foil parcel and cook on the BBQ for 25 minutes.
- Thread the vegetables onto the bamboo skewers. Brush with a little olive oil and cook on the BBQ or grill for 10 - 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Carve the lamb, fat side down into slices about 1cm thick and serve with the new potatoes, vegetable kebabs and salad.
Calories: 603kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 400mg | Potassium: 1265mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 4950IU | Vitamin C: 205.4mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 5.4mg