Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
A pasta bake is a very easy way to use up leftover chicken that will appeal to the whole family. You can of course use fresh chicken if you have no leftovers.
- 400 g penne organic, fairtrade
- 200 g broccoli cut into small florets, stems thinly sliced, organic
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 350 g chicken diced
- 2 leeks trimmed, thinly sliced, organic
- 2 cloves garlic peeled, crushed, organic
- 250 g low fat cream cheese organic
- 3 tbsp green pesto organic
- 1 dash black pepper freshly ground, organic, fairtrade
- 1 dash salt optional
- 85 g mature cheddar cheese grated, organic
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs organic, optional.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5
- Cook the pasta in a pan of lightly salted boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and if you are using fresh chicken, fry until browned then set aside. Leftover chicken is already cooked so not needed yet.
- Fry the leek over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and pesto to the pan and stir until melted.
- Add the chicken, pasta and broccoli and stir together so the pasta is well coated in the sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Tip into an oven proof casserole dish and sprinkle the grated cheese and breadcrumbs over the top. For the breadcrumbs, you can blitz a few slices of bread in a food processor.
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is browned.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? If you are using fresh chicken, this dish can be prepared in advance, kept in the fridge for up to 48 hours and baked when ready. You can also re-heat a portion. If you are cooking straight from the fridge, add an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time. Remember, if you are using leftover chicken, you should only re-heat the chicken once.
Calories: 623kcalCarbohydrates: 56gProtein: 42gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0.02gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 813mgPotassium: 633mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1550IUVitamin C: 72.6mgCalcium: 280mgIron: 4.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!