Chicken chasseur is a really tasty one pot dish and just great for cold winter days. Chicken thighs are usually cheaper than chicken breasts and work very well in a casserole. Serve with baked potatoes or pasta such as tagliatelle. If you don't want to use wine, double the quantity of stock instead.
- 4 baking potatoes organic, washed
- 30 g plain flour organic
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 4 chicken breasts organic about 140g each or 8 skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 15 g butter organic
- 6 shallots organic, peeled and finely chopped
- 175 g button mushrooms organic, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme organic, leaves only
- 200 ml white wine organic, fairtrade or cooking wine
- 200 ml chicken stock organic
- 200 g passata organic
- 3 tbsp fresh tarragon organic, leaves only, chopped
- 900 g savoy cabbage organic, washed and shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ gas mark 4
- Prick the skins of the baking potatoes with a fork, rub in a little oil and place in the oven.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and dust the chicken. The easiest way to do this is to put it all in a plastic bag and give it a good shake. Pour the oil into a large pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken until brown then remove to a plate.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat and fry the shallots for about 5 minutes, until they are soft but be careful not to colour them. Add the mushrooms, chopped garlic and thyme leaves and fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan along with the stock, passata and tarragon. Bring it to a boil, then cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- 10 minutes before eating, place the cabbage in a steamer and steam for 6 - 8 minutes until tender.
- Serve the chicken chasseur with the baked potatoes and cabbage.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? This dish can be prepared in advance and re-heated when ready. it can be frozen for 3 - 4 months.
Calories: 726kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 745mg | Potassium: 2318mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3950IU | Vitamin C: 170.8mg | Calcium: 350mg | Iron: 10.6mg