This chicken korma is great for using leftover roast chicken, or you can also use fresh diced chicken. It is also great for kids as it's not very spicy and uses yoghurt rather than cream so is not too heavy either. For very young children, add more yoghurt to their portion if necessary.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil organic
- 1 onions organic, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic organic, peeled, crushed
- 3 tsp fresh ginger organic, peeled, grated
- 300 g rice organic, fairtrade or naan bread to serve
- 4 tbsp korma curry paste organic
- 500 g chicken diced
- 2 tbsp ground almonds organic
- 200 ml chicken stock organic
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp mango chutney organic, fairtrade
- 150 ml low fat natural yoghurt organic
- 2 tsp garam masala organic, fairtrade
- 40 g sultanas organic, (optional)
- 4 tbsp fresh coriander organic, leaves to serve (optional)
- 100 g spinach organic
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat and fry the onion for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and the ginger to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Put the rice on to cook as per the packet instructions.
- Add the curry paste to the frying pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir through the chicken and ground almonds.
- Pour over the chicken stock, season with freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is properly cooked through or heated if you are using leftovers.
- Stir in the mango chutney, natural yoghurt, garam masala, sultanas & spinach and heat through for 2 minutes.
- Serve with the rice or naan bread. Chop the coriander leaves and sprinkle over the top.
Not all eating at the same time or in a hurry? This dish can be prepared in advance and re-heated when needed. Remember if you are using leftover chicken, it should only be re-heated once. You can freeze this dish for 3 - 4 months. Tip Peel some fresh ginger and keep it ready to use in chunks in the freezer. It is easy to grate when frozen and you always have to buy more than you need.
Calories: 629kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.03g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 564mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 18% | Vitamin C: 16% | Calcium: 8% | Iron: 14%