Chinese Beef with Broccoli Stir Fry
This classic beef stir fry dish is a great way to sample good Chinese food that the whole family can enjoy, without the expense of a takeaway. You might even like to serve it to celebrate Chinese New Year. Make sure you use one of the best cuts of beef such as sirloin as cheaper cuts will be tough. If you do need to use a cheaper cut, slice it then pound it with a rolling pin a few times to break down the fibres which will help make it tender. Use gluten free soy sauce if you need to.
- 500 g beef sirloin organic, or tenderloin, sliced thinly across the grain
- 300 g rice organic, fairtrade
- 350 g broccoli organic, cut into bite sized florets
- 3 tbsp ground nut oil organic
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp cornflour organic, dissolved in a little water
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce organic
- 1 tsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce organic, fairtrade
- 100 ml beef stock organic, low salt
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the rice as per the packet instructions. Put another pan of lightly salted water on to boil for the broccoli.
- Stir together the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes until tender and crisp, do not overdo it. Drain and rinse through very cold water or place in a bowl of ice cold water for 10-20 seconds. This prevents it cooking further and helps to retain the colour.
- Heat a large pan or wok over a high heat. When the pan is sizzling hot, add the oil and swirl it to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the beef in a single layer, so all the pieces directly tough the pan. And let it fry for 1 minute. Turn the beef over, add the garlic and let it fry for another minute.
- Pour in the sauce and bring to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the cornflour(dissolved in water) and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Serve immediately with the rice.
In a hurry or not all eating together? All the ingredients, the marinade and the sauce can be prepared in advance so you will have dinner ready in minutes. Fry the meat only as you need it.
Calories: 477kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 31gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 7gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 1137mgPotassium: 712mgFiber: 3gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 550IUVitamin C: 108.1mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 3.4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!