Autumn is the perfect time to enjoy this classic dish and when it comes to the topping, seasonal vegetables present lots of opportunity to make it more interesting. Using half sweet potato and half normal potatoes makes for a colourful dish. Also, sweet potatoes are packed with antioxidants which help your immune system and combat disease.
- 800 g potatoes or mix potato and sweet potato, organic
- 10 g butter organic (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onions organic, peeled and finely chopped
- 500 g lean minced beef organic
- 1 beef stock cube organic
- 400 g chopped tomatoes organic, tinned
- 2 tbsp tomato puree organic
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce organic
- 320 g peas or beans to serve, organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Peel the potatoes and sweet potato and chop into egg sized pieces. Boil for around [timerminutes=10]10 minutes[/timer] until soft then drain and mash together with a little butter or milk. Leave to one side.
- Pour the oil into a large pan and over a medium heat, fry the onions for around 5 minutes until it is soft.
- Add the mince and fry until it browns. Take care to properly break up the mince in the pan to avoid lumps.
- Dissolve the stock cube in a little boiling water and add to the mince with the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, worcestershire sauce and stir it all together.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish and spread the mash over the top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the top starts to brown.
- Boil or steam the green vegetables until tender and serve everything together.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared in advance and simply baked in the oven when you are ready. It can also be re-heated. You can freeze this for up to 6 months. Great idea for using up any leftover mince, but if you do this remember you should only re-heat it once.
Calories: 622kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 793mg | Potassium: 1458mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1300IU | Vitamin C: 118.8mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 6.1mg