Creamy Chicken and Squash Gratin
This is a very easy one pot chicken dish that you can leave to cook in the oven. It's also great for using up any leftover bread. Serve with any seasonal green vegetables.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks organic, trimmed and diced
- 450 g butternut squash organic peeled, de-seeded and diced into 2cm cubes
- 350 g diced chicken
- 500 ml reduced fat single cream organic
- 1 tsp thyme organic, leaves only
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 100 g crusty bread organic
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- 400 g green beans organic, or other seasonal green veg
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion, leeks and squash for about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Add the remainder of the oil and fry the chicken pieces until browned.
- Add the onion, leeks and squash back to the pan and stir in the cream and thyme. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to an oven proof casserole dish.
- Break the crusty bread into bite sized chunks and sprinkle over the top of the casserole together with the grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, until the bread turns golden and the filling is bubbling
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and simmer the green beans for 3 - 4 minutes until tender.
- Serve the gratin with the green beans.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared in advance and re-heated.
Calories: 472kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 1217mg | Potassium: 921mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 277% | Vitamin C: 81% | Calcium: 33% | Iron: 28%