Easy Chicken Balti
This chicken curry is very easy and has a great flavour. If you have young children, you could stir some natural yoghurt into their portion if you like. For gluten free leave out the butter. You will need a food processor or hand blender for this recipe.
- 15 g butter organic, (replace with oil dairy free)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil organic
- 2 onions organic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves organic, peeled, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger organic, peeled and grated
- 300 g basmati rice organic, fairtrade
- 2 tbsp balti curry paste organic, use slightly more if you like it hotter
- 1 tbsp tomato puree organic
- 600 g diced chicken organic
- 175 ml chicken stock organic
- 1 tsp caster sugar organic, fairtrade
- 4 tomatoes organic, large, cut into bite sized chunks
- 100 g spinach leaves organic
- Melt the butter and half the oil in a large frying pan with a lid. Add the onions, garlic and ginger, cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put the rice on to cook as per the packet instructions, then drain.
- Increase the heat under the frying pan and stir the onion mixture for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook for 1 minute., stirring. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the tomato puree.
- Blitz the onion mixture in a food processor or with a hand blender until it becomes a smooth paste. Transfer it to a bowl and set aside. This mixture can be kept in the fridge, covered for up to 3 days.
- Put the pan back on the heat, add the rest of the sunflower oil and fry the chicken pieces for about 3 minutes until browned.
- Add the spiced onion mixture back to the pan with the chicken stock, sugar and tomatoes. Bring to a boil then simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach, one handful at a time and stir until it has wilted. Cook for 1 minute.
- Serve the curry together with the rice.
In a hurry or not all eating together? The onion mixture can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge which means you only need 10 minutes or as long as the rice takes to prepare this dish. Alternatively, you can re-heat a portion.
Calories: 463kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 41gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1974mgPotassium: 698mgFiber: 6gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 3900IUVitamin C: 49.5mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 4.3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!