Hearty Vegetable Stew with Herby Dumplings
Autumn is definitely the time to indulge in a vegetable stew. This one is filling, tasty and comes with dumplings!
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks organic, trimmed and sliced
- 2 celery stalks organic, sliced
- 2 carrots organic, peeled and sliced
- 1 kg butternut squash organic, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- 250 g turnip organic, peeled and diced
- 800 ml vegetable stock organic
- 400 g chopped tomatoes organic, tinned
- 175 g pearl barley organic, fairtrade
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley organic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf organic
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme organic, leaves only
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 200 g self raising flour organic
- 100 g butter organic
- 100 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- 1 tsp fresh thyme organic, leaves only
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ gas mark 4
- Heat the oil in a large pan or oven proof casserole dish. Add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks and fry for 2 minutes, then stir in the celery, carrots, butternut squash and turnip and fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, tinned tomatoes, pearl barley, parsley, bay leaf and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to the boil then transfer to the oven in an oven proof dish for 45 minutes.
- To make the dumplings, rub the flour and butter together to form breadcrumbs. Add the grated cheese and thyme and stir together.
- Sprinkle over 2 tablespoons of cold water and mix it all together to form a dough. Divide the dough into small balls about the size of ping pong balls. Place them on top of the stew and cook uncovered for the last 20 - 25 minutes, until the dumplings are golden.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared in advance and re-heated. It can be frozen for up to 6 months
Calories: 666kcalCarbohydrates: 109gProtein: 16gFat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 379mgPotassium: 1471mgFiber: 18gSugar: 18gVitamin A: 34100IUVitamin C: 137mgCalcium: 280mgIron: 6.3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!