Home Made Chicken Nuggets and Chips
You won't ever buy chicken nuggets again. This is the easiest recipe and what's more, you know exactly what's in them! You can also freeze these before cooking so they're a good stand by if you suddenly find yourselves feeding a crowd.
- 750 g potatoes organic, Desiree, King Edward or Maris Piper
- 4 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 500 g chicken breasts diced
- 5 tbsp red pesto organic
- 300 g fresh breadcrumbs organic, or use leftover bread
- 300 g frozen peas organic or other green seasonal vegetables
- 4 tbsp ketchup organic, to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to the highest setting.
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Peel the potatoes and cut into slices 1cm wide then 1cm wide chips. Blanch in the boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain.
- Tip the chips onto a clean teatowel to dry off. Line a baking tray with baking parchment then transfer the chips and arrange in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil.
- In a bowl, mix the diced chicken with the pesto, until the chicken pieces are well coated. Whizz up some day old bread in a food processor then put the breadcrumbs in a large freezer bag. Add the chicken and give it all a good shake so the chicken is coated in breadcrumbs. The nuggets can be frozen at this point. Place on a tray in a single layer to freeze before transferring to a freezer bag so they don't all stick together.
- Line another baking tray with baking parchment and arrange the nuggets in a single layer. Drizzle with a little oil and place the nuggets and chips in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn them over. The high temperature will help give the nuggets a crispy finish.
- Add the frozen peas to boiling water and cook as per the packet instructions.
- Serve everything together with a good dollop of ketchup.
In a hurry or not all eating together? You can prepare the nuggets in advance and blanch the chips then cook in the oven when ready.
Calories: 887kcal | Carbohydrates: 99g | Protein: 54g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 1437mg | Potassium: 1179mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1900IU | Vitamin C: 71mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 6.3mg