There are many variations to Hot Pot which can include carrots, turnips and leeks so if you fancy adding something else, feel free. A great one-pot meal. Traditionally it is served with pickled cabbage or beetroot.
- 25 g butter organic
- 900 g potatoes organic
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 450 g stewing lamb diced
- 2 onions organic, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots organic, peeled and sliced
- 20 g plain flour organic
- 3 tsp worcestershire sauce organic
- 700 ml lamb stock organic or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves organic
- 8 tbsp pickled cabbage or beetroot to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F/ gas mark 3
- Grease the bottom of a casserole dish with the butter.
- Cut the potato into slices 3 - 4 mm thick and place in a layer covering the bottom of the dish
- Trim the lamb of any excess fat. In a large pan heat the oil and when it is hot add the lamb in batches and fry until brown then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the onions and carrots to the pan and gently fry for around 10 minutes. Add the flour and stir until it absorbs the juices.
- Add the worcestershire sauce to the stock then add slowly to the flour whilst stirring until it is all blended together. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, bring to a simmer then pour over the meat in the casserole dish. Add the bay leaves.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook near the top of the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with the pickled cabbage or beetroot.
This dish can be frozen for 2 - 3 months
Calories: 710kcalCarbohydrates: 61gProtein: 33gFat: 37gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 557mgPotassium: 1594mgFiber: 8gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 10350IUVitamin C: 78.4mgCalcium: 90mgIron: 4.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!