Lamb tagine with couscous
This is a quick and easy version of a traditional North African dish. it is also a tasty way of using up any leftover lamb, just put it through a food processor to turn it into mince. Remember if you are using leftover lamb you should only re-heat it once so you will need to eat this when you make it. There are lots of ingredients in this recipe that are available as fairtrade so try and use these if you can as it makes a big difference to the farmers.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onion organic, peeled and chopped
- 400 g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp ground cumin organic, fairtrade
- 1 tsp ground tumeric organic, fairtrade
- 1 tsp ground coriander organic,
- 75 g dried apricots organic, fairtrade
- 200 ml lamb stock organic, or vegetable stock
- 240 g chickpeas organic, drained weight
- 250 g couscous organic, fairtrade
- 1 lemon organic, fairtrade, juice and zest of
- 450 ml vegetable stock organic
- 4 tbsp fresh mint organic, chopped
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and fry the onion and mince over a medium heat until browned.
- Add the cumin, tumeric and coriander and fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the lamb stock, bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Put the couscous in a heat proof bowl, add the lemon zest and juice together with the stock. Cover the bowl with clingfilm or a tight fitting lid and leave it for 5 minutes. Uncover the bowl and fluff the couscous up with a fork and stir through the mint.
- Add the drained chickpeas and apricots to the tagine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the couscous with the tagine spooned over the top.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared in advance and re-heated. The tagine can be frozen for up to 6 months if you have used fresh lamb rather than leftover lamb.
Calories: 581kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 654mg | Potassium: 666mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1300IU | Vitamin C: 15.7mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 6.5mg