Leek and Smoked Mackerel Penne Bake
Mackerel is so good for you, bursting full of omega-3 and cheaper than salmon. This easy pasta bake dish is a great way to serve it. You can store this in the fridge for 2 - 3 days
- 400 g penne organic
- 10 g butter organic
- 2 leeks organic, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 200 g kale organic
- 500 ml reduced fat creme fraiche organic
- 400 g smoked mackerel fillets MSC certified, skinned and flesh flaked into large chunks
- 2 tbsp horseradish sauce organic
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 100 g breadcrumbs organic
- 50 g Parmesan cheese organic, grated
- 360 g broccoli organic
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the penne as per the packet instructions, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the butter and fry the leek and kale for 10 minutes or until the leaves are tender but still dark green and slightly firm.
- Stir in the creme fraiche, smoked mackerel and horseradish sauce and heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the pasta and season with black pepper.
- Pour everything into an oven proof baking dish, scatter with breadcrumbs and cheese and grill until the top is crisp and golden.
- Simmer the broccoli in a pan of boiling water for 4 - 5 minutes until tender.
- Serve the penne bake together with the broccoli.
In a hurry or not all eating together? You can re-heat a portion of this. It will keep in the fridge for 2 - 3 days. Remember to cover it well to prevent any odours contaminating other food.
Calories: 655kcalCarbohydrates: 75gProtein: 45gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 1075mgPotassium: 1214mgFiber: 10gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 9450IUVitamin C: 245.9mgCalcium: 340mgIron: 6.1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!