Leek, cauliflower and kale lasagna
A simple lasagna to really warm you up in winter. You can prepare this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge.
- 575 g cauliflower organic, ( 1 head = 575g) cut into bite sized florets
- 300 g kale organic, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 180 g leeks organic, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cloves garlic organic, peeled and crushed
- 12 lasagna sheets organic, (uncooked)
- 40 g butter organic
- 40 g plain flour organic
- 300 ml milk organic
- 300 ml vegetable stock organic
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 120 g mature cheddar cheese organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4
- Put the cauliflower into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the kale and simmer for a further 1 minute. Remove from the heat and drain.
- In a separate pan, fry the leeks in the olive oil for around 5 minutes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the garlic to the pan and fry for a further 2 minutes. Add the leek and garlic to the drained cauliflower and kale.
- To make the white sauce, add the butter, flour, milk, hot vegetable stock and mustard to a pan, bring to a boil stirring all the time. Once it is bubbling, stir in half the cheese. Taste the sauce to see if you need more cheese as the amount depends very much on how mature the cheese is. Let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour one third of the sauce in with the vegetables and stir.
- Cover the bottom of the lasagna dish with half of the remaining sauce and assemble the lasagna as follows. Layer of lasagna sheets, layer of vegetables, layer of lasagna sheets, layer of vegetables, layer of lasagna sheets. Pour the remainder of the sauce over the top, spreading it out to the edges and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top. add more cheese if necessary.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Use a fork to check that the lasagna sheets are soft and serve.
Not all eating at the same time or in a hurry? This lasagna can be assembled ahead or time and kept in the fridge for 24 hours. You can also cook it and re-heat it when you are ready to eat.
Calories: 1008kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 224mg | Potassium: 988mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 12700IU | Vitamin C: 224.4mg | Calcium: 530mg | Iron: 2.9mg