This is a great lasagna and you won't miss the meat. I cooked this for a big event not long ago and nearly all the kids chose it. I normally put about half the sauce through the blender to hide some of the veg. If you're cooking for 4 people, a 30cm x 20cm lasagna dish fits the packet lasagna sheets pretty well.
- 2 red onions organic, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 1 yellow peppers organic, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 red peppers organic, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 courgettes organic, cut into batons
- 1 aubergine organic, cut into 1cm cubes
- 400 g tinned tomatoes organic
- 200 ml passata organic
- 10 g fresh basil organic, chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 9 lasagna sheets organic, more depending on the size of your dish
- 320 g green salad organic
- 40 g butter organic
- 40 g plain flour organic
- 1/2 tsp English mustard organic
- 300 ml milk organic
- 300 ml vegetable stock organic
- 150 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Put the onions, garlic, peppers, courgettes aubergines tomatoes and passata into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the basil, season with salt and pepper and stir.
To make the cheese sauce
- Put the butter, flour, mustard, milk and stock together in a pan. Heat gently and stir continuously until the sauce thickens. Don't worry about a few lumps. Remove from the heat and add about half the cheese and stir in until it melts.
Assembling the Lasagna
- Spread a thin layer of the vegetable sauce on the bottom of the dish. Cover with a layer of uncooked lasagna sheets. Pour over a layer of cheese sauce and repeat this pattern until it is all used up. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. If you are using a large dish, you may need more cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Serve the lasagna with a green salad.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be reheated. It can also be assembled in advance and cooked in the oven when ready.
Calories: 693kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 838mg | Potassium: 1661mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 3631IU | Vitamin C: 150mg | Calcium: 468mg | Iron: 5mg