Mini toads in the hole with onion mash and gravy
If you can't eat this is winter, when can you eat it? The mini toads are great for kids as they are all the same and they can even hold them in their fingers. You will need a 12 hole muffin tray.
- 120 g plain flour organic
- 2 eggs organic or free range
- 350 ml milk organic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil organic
- 12 thin pork sausages lean, cut in half
- 1 kg potatoes organic
- 250 g kale organic, or cabbage
- 2 red onions organic
- 10 ml olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 6 tbsp balsamic vinegar organic
- 1 vegetable stock cube organic or 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- Pre-heat the oven to 240°C/475°F/gas mark 9
- Whisk the flour and eggs together in a large bowl and gradually add the milk to make the batter.
- Add a teaspoon of vegetable oil to each muffin hole and bend 2 chipolatas into each one. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, peel the potatoes and cut into chunks about 3cm². Add to the pan, bring back to the boil and simmer for about 8 minutes until cooked. Steam the kale or cabbage over the top of the pan for 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash together with a little milk or butter. Stir through the kale or cabbage and keep warm, or you can serve the vegetable separately if you prefer.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
- When the sausages have had 15 minutes, place the muffin tray over a direct heat while you fill a third of each section with the batter then quickly Put the tin onto a baking sheet in the oven and leave for 15 - 20 minutes until brown and all puffed up. Don't be tempted to open the door to have a peek as they will not puff up!
To make the onion gravy
- Fry the onions in the olive oil over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and let it cook down (reduce) by half. Sprinkle over the vegetable stock powder or stock cube, add 200ml of water and let it simmer until you are ready.
- Serve the toads with the mash, vegetable and onion gravy on the side.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? You can make the batter ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. The onion gravy can also be made ahead of time and re-heated. The toad in the hole can be kept warm in the oven once cooked.
Calories: 590kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 1554mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 9750IU | Vitamin C: 178.2mg | Calcium: 250mg | Iron: 3.8mg