I always imagined Paella would be fiddly to cook, but this version is straightforward. The real beauty of paella is that it is very much a meal to share. it's also a great opportunity to try some seafood. This recipe uses prawns and mussels, but you can choose whatever you like. If you don't want to use meat, just replace the quantity with other seafood.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove organic, peeled and crushed
- 2 large tomatoes organic, diced
- 100 g peas organic
- 1 red peppers organic, de-seeded and diced
- 400 g arborio rice organic, fairtrade
- 1 tsp tumeric organic, fairtrade
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika organic
- 1200 ml chicken stock organic
- 300 g diced chicken organic
- 150 g lean chorizo organic, skinned and sliced
- 200 g prawns MSC certified
- 200 g mussels cleaned
- 10 g fresh parsley organic, leaves chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir for 3 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the tomatoes, peas, red pepper, rice and tumeric, paprika and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, add the chicken and bring to the boil then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped chorizo and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the prawns, mussels and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and put the lid on. Cook for 5 minutes until the seafood has cooked through completely.
- Serve in a big dish and let everyone help themselves.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared in advance and re-heated. If you are saving a portion for later, keep it in the fridge until it is needed.
Calories: 609kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 148mg | Sodium: 1883mg | Potassium: 938mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 44% | Vitamin C: 170% | Calcium: 9% | Iron: 43%