Pork Meatballs with Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce
Italian or American? Whichever tradition it comes from, meatballs with tomato sauce is a real classic. Use leftover pork if you have it, just put it through a food processor to mince it or make this from scratch. The meatballs can also be frozen before the cooking stage but remember if you are using leftover pork that you should only re-heat them once.
- 500 g minced pork organic
- 20 g breadcrumbs organic (20g is about 1 slice of bread)
- 1 eggs organic, beaten
- 1 dash ground cumin organic, fairtrade
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese organic, grated, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley organic, finely chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 red onions organic, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 800 g chopped tomatoes organic, tinned
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika organic
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves organic, roughly torn
- 450 g spaghetti organic
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs, except the olive oil, together either slowly in a food processor or in a large bowl with your hands. Take a heaped teaspoon of the mixture and mould it into a small ball.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan and when it is hot add the meatballs and fry for about 5 minutes until browned on all sides. You may need to do this in batches. Remove to a plate and put to one side.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and fry over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sweet smoked paprika and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, half the basil leaves, salt and pepper and using an empty tomato tin, 1 tin of water (or 400ml). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the meatballs and cook for 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as per the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta and serve immediately. Spoon the meatballs and sauce over the top, sprinkle with the remaining basil leaves and parmesan cheese.
In a hurry or not all eating together? The meatballs can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for 1 - 2 days. The sauce can also be prepared then re-heated. Cook the pasta when you are ready. The meatballs can be frozen uncooked for 6 months.
Calories: 518kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 508mg | Potassium: 100mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2500IU | Vitamin C: 50.3mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 4.3mg