Salmon Fish Cakes
These fish cakes also work well with other oily fish such as tuna or mackerel. For best results, you should chill fish cakes in the fridge for about an hour so they set. The uncooked fishcakes can be frozen for up to 3 months, so why not make up a batch.
- 450 g potatoes organic, such as maris piper, peeled, cut into chunks
- 350 g salmon fillets MSC certified, bones removed
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp fresh chives organic, thinly chopped
- 2 lemons organic, fairtrade,
- 1 eggs organic, beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour organic, plus extra for dusting
- 320 g green salad organic
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the potato and cook for about 15 minutes until soft, then drain.
- Season the salmon fillets. Place in a steamer over the top of the potatoes and cook for 8 - 10 minutes. Alternatively poach them in simmering water for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes and leave them to cool.
- Flake the salmon into a bowl, leaving the skin behind. Add the chives and juice of half the lemons together with the egg and flour and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- When the potatoes are cooled, mix the fish mixture with the potatoes and stir together well. Divide the mixture into however many you are making for and pat into circles about 2cm thick and dust with flour.
- Place in the fridge for about 1 hour to cool, or you can freeze them at this point.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Drizzle the fishcakes lightly with oil and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden. Alternatively, add a thin coating of oil to a frying pan and when the oil is hot, fry the fishcakes over a medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes on each side.
- Cut the rest of the lemons into wedges and serve with the fishcakes and a green salad.
In a hurry or not all eating together? The fishcakes can be prepared in advance and fried or cooked in the oven when ready, making a very quick tea!
Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 278mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4400IU | Vitamin C: 75.9mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2.3mg