Salmon parcels with cream cheese and spinach
These salmon parcels with cream cheese and spinach are really colourful and can be made as individual parcels or one big parcel. You can also make them ahead of time which makes them a great choice for special occasions. Wild salmon is not in season during the winter so look for organic farmed salmon with the Marine Conservation Society logo.
- 150 g low fat cream cheese organic
- 120 g spinach organic, or mix of spinach, watercress and rocket
- 500 g puff pastry organic
- 500 g salmon fillets organic, skinned and boned
- 1 eggs organic or free range, beaten
- 250 g carrots organic, thinly sliced
- 250 g broccoli organic, cut into even sized florets
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Whizz together the cream cheese with the spinach, watercress and rocket in a food processor.
- Divide the puff pastry into 4 (or no. of portions) or keep as one piece if doing one large parcel. Roll it out to a thickness of 2 - 3 mm and just over twice the width of the salmon fillet so that it can be wrapped.
- Place the salmon fillet(s) on one half of the pastry, spread most of the spinach mixture on the top, paste the edges with some of the beaten egg and fold the pastry over. Gently pinch the edges together to seal it.
- Glaze the top with the beaten egg and make two small cuts in the pastry on top to let the steam escape. 4 cuts for a larger parcel.
- Place on a greased baking tray or greased baking parchment and cook in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes for individual parcels and 25 - 30 minutes for a whole parcel. To test if it is cooked, place a sharp knife through one of the pastry cuts, hold it for 3 seconds then place it against the inside of your wrist. If the knife is hot, the salmon is cooked.
- Steam the carrots and broccoli for 6 - 7 minutes and serve with the salmon parcels and any remaining spinach, watercress and rocket puree as a sauce.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? These parcels can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Make sure the edges are well sealed so the sauce doesn't run out.
Calories: 666kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 28gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 498mgPotassium: 627mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 13950IUVitamin C: 93.2mgCalcium: 140mgIron: 5.9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!