Sardines are an excellent source of omega-3 and contain more per serving than either tuna or salmon. Fresh sardines are at their best in Spring, ( in season Aug - April) are plentiful and not in danger of being over fished. If you can't get hold of fresh, buy the best tinned sardines you can afford. Fresh sardines should be used the day of purchase.
- 400 g fettucine organic
- 4 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 4 cloves garlic organic, peeled and crushed
- 2 slices bread organic, whizzed into breadcrumbs
- 2 lemons organic, fairtrade, juice of half
- 12 fresh sardines or a 95g- 120g tin per person
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 2 tbsp tomato puree organic
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley organic, chopped
- 25 g Parmesan cheese organic, grated to serve (optional)
- 320 g green salad organic, to serve
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the fettucine for 8 - 10 minutes until cooked, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat half the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the garlic for about 30 seconds then tip the oil and garlic into a small dish
- Pour the rest of the olive oil into the pan and fry the breadcrumbs over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden then transfer to a plate.
- Scale fresh sardines by holding them by their tail under cold running water and brushing them from tail to head between your finger and thumb.
- Season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and place under the grill for 3 - 4 minutes until the skin is crisp and charred. The flesh can now be easily removed from the skins.
- Add the lemon juice to the garlic oil and stir into the pasta.
- Stir the tomato puree, parsley and parmesan into the pasta then gently stir in the fresh sardines or tinned sardines if using.
- Serve, sprinkled with the breadcrumbs, salad on the side and the remainder of the lemons cut into quarters.
In a hurry or not all eating together? You can fry the garlic and breadcrumbs and mix the garlic with the lemon juice in advance. Cook the pasta and sardines fresh and stir everything together when you are ready.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 742mg | Potassium: 588mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5400IU | Vitamin C: 57.8mg | Calcium: 360mg | Iron: 5.4mg