Sicilian Style Fish Stew
This dish is very easy, quick and low in fat. Use any sustainable firm white fish and see what's on special offer to save money. Serve with some crusty bread if your family are extra hungry.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks organic, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves organic, crushed
- 1 tsp chilli flakes organic, fairtrade
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 8 large tomatoes organic, diced
- 500 ml vegetable stock organic
- 150 ml white wine organic, fairtrade or low alcohol cooking wine
- 100 g couscous organic, fairtrade
- 500 g white fish fillets skinned, boned, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley organic, finely chopped
- 1 lemons organic, fairtrade, zest of
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, celery, garlic and chilli flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook over a medium heat for 8 -10 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and white wine and bring to the boil for 2 minutes.
- Add the couscous, turn down the heat to a simmer, then add the fish.
- cover with a lid and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve the stew with the parsley and lemon sprinkled over the top. The parsley and lemon are not just decorative, they really do make the dish.
In a hurry or not all eating together? You can re-heat this dish, but the couscous will continue to absorb liquid so you may need to add some more stock. If you want to prepare in advance, you can prepare up until the point when you add the couscous. If you do this, you only need 10 minutes to finish it off. Can be stored in the fridge for 2 - 3 days, you may need to add more stock to loosen it.
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 315mg | Potassium: 652mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2550IU | Vitamin C: 64.4mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 2mg