Smokey Pork Stew
This is a real winter warmer. It can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. The recipe does contain sherry, I have tried various alternatives as I know not everyone likes to use alcohol when cooking for children. Balsamic vinegar and sugar works well, but nothing gives the same depth of flavour as the sherry. Cook this on the hob or leave it in the oven to come home to.
- 4 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 500 g stewing pork organic, diced
- 3 slices smoked bacon organic, chopped
- 2 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika organic, fairtrade
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes organic
- 150 ml sherry or use 75ml balsamic with 2 tsp sugar
- 750 ml chicken stock organic
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 500 g potatoes organic, peeled & chopped into bite sized chunks
- 400 g tinned kidney beans organic, fairtrade (optional)
- 300 g green cabbage organic, to serve or other seasonal green veg
- 4 tbsp fat free soured cream organic, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and brown the pork. You may need to do this in batches. Add more olive oil if necessary and remove to a plate as it browns. Add the bacon pieces, fry then remove to the plate.
- Add the onions to the pan and cooked gently over a medium heat until they begin to brown and soften. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet smoked paprika, chopped tomatoes, all the meat, sherry (or balsamic vinegar and sugar) and chicken stock. Make sure the liquid covers the meat, top up with water or more stock if necessary. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, place a lid on the pan and simmer gently on a low heat for 30 minutes. Alternatively, add the potatoes and kidney beans and leave to cook in the oven 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3 for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes and kidney beans to the pan, making sure the potatoes are submerged in the sauce. Replace the lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve the stew with seasonal green vegetables and a dollop of soured cream
Not all eating together or in a hurry? This is a great dish for leaving to cook in the oven and coming home to. You can re-heat a portion as necessary. This dish can be frozen for 3 - 4 months.
Calories: 733kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 1534mg | Potassium: 1923mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 46% | Vitamin C: 137% | Calcium: 16% | Iron: 29%