An all time favourite dish and a simple but delicious version. This is definitely one for making in bulk and freezing, saving you time as well as energy costs.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 1 onions peeled and diced, organic
- 2 carrots peeled and diced, organic
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 400 g chopped tomatoes organic, use tinned
- 200 g passata organic
- 1 tsp italian seasoning or dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce organic
- 125 ml red wine organic, fairtrade or low alcohol cooking wine
- 1 dash black pepper freshly ground, organic, fairtrade
- 1 dash salt
- 360 g dried spaghetti organic
- 25 g Parmesan cheese organic, to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or oven proof casserole dish over a medium heat and fry the onion and carrot for 5 minutes until soft, then remove and place to one side.
- Add the mince to the pan and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until browned. Break it up with a wooden spoon so there are no lumps. If you are cooking a larger amount of mince, you may need to do this in batches or you will end up stewing it rather than frying. Drain off the fat.
- Add the onion and carrot back to the pan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, passta, herbs, worcestershire sauce and red wine and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can place it in the oven at 180°C/360°F/gas mark 4 if you prefer at this point for up to 1 hour. This does really enhance the flavour and is more convenient if you need to go out.
- 15 minutes before eating, bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti as per the packet instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti and serve with the bolognaise spooned over the top and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? The bolognese can be prepared in advance and re-heated. Cook the spaghetti as you need it. This dish can be frozen for 3 - 4 months.
Calories: 840kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 717mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 5650IU | Vitamin C: 21.5mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 4.1mg