Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice
Sweet and Sour Pork is a popular take away dish and it's great to be able to create it at home. It's also cheaper and healthier and ready in only 20 minutes. Serve with rice or noodles.
- 300 g basmati rice organic, fairtrade
- 500 g pork fillet sliced into strips, fat removed
- 50 g dry roasted peanuts organic, fairtrade
- 2 tbsp ground nut oil organic
- 1 red peppers organic, desseded and cut into chunks
- 1 green peppers organic, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 carrots organic, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 8 spring onions organic, topped, tailed and thinly sliced
- 125 g canned pineapple organic, fairtrade, in natural juice
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup organic
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar organic, fairtrade
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce organic
- 3 tbsp Rice wine vinegar organic
- 3 tsp cornflour organic, blended with a little cold water to make a paste
- Put the rice on to cook as per the packet instructions, then drain when ready.
- Blitz the peanuts in a food blender or place in a bag and bash with a rolling pin until they resemble crumbs. Add the pork strips to the plastic bag and give everything a good shake until the pork strips are coated.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when the oil is smoking, add the pork and fry on a high heat for 1 - 2 minutes until browned and no pink is showing. Set aside and leave to rest.
- Add the pepper, carrot, spring onions and pineapple chunks to the pan and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and add the pineapple juice. Add to the pan along with the pork and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Serve the pork together with the rice.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be re-heated or prepared in advance. Prepare all the ingredients including the sauce and you only need 8 minutes to cook this. Serve with noodles if you are in a real hurry.
Calories: 651kcalCarbohydrates: 84gProtein: 36gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 743mgPotassium: 971mgFiber: 5gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 3883IUVitamin C: 71mgCalcium: 71mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!