A basic tea loaf or fruit cake makes a great snack and this one is possibly the simplest cake you will ever make. You will need a 2lb loaf tin and 2lb tin loaf liner
- 2lb tin loaf
- 2lb tin loaf liner
- 380 g dried mixed fruit
- 50 g golden caster sugar fairtrade
- 1 egg large, beaten
- 225 g self-raising flour organic
- 150 ml hot tea
- Place the dried mixed fruit & sugar in a large bowl and pour over enough hot tea to just about cover the fruit. Give it a quick stir to dissolve the sugar, cover with a plate and leave overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/340°F/gas mark 3
- Add the egg and sieve in the flour. Fold the mixture together until it is all mixed in.
- Transfer the mixture to a standard 2lb loaf tin, lined with a standard 2lb loaf tin liner
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 1 hour and 10 minutes. To test if it's ready, insert a fork into the middle of the cake, if the fork is clean - ie no mixture is stuck to it, it is cooked through. You may need an extra 5 minutes.
- Leave it on a wire rack to cool. Cut into slices to serve. It's also lovely spread with butter.
Store the cake in an air-tight container. It will keep for at least a week. It's also lovely served with butter.
Calories: 168kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 4gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 9mgPotassium: 244mgFiber: 4gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 20IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 56mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!