Tomato and Basil Risotto with Poached Egg
If you've never cooked a risotto before, this one is for you. It's very easy to do and you don't have to stand over it stirring all the time. The poached egg is a lovely addition to this meal and provides protein.
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 10 g butter organic
- 1 red onion organic, finely chopped
- 400 g risotto rice organic
- 150 ml white wine organic, fairtrade or vermouth
- 400 g chopped tomatoes organic, use tinned
- 800 ml vegetable stock organic
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade
- 50 g Parmesan cheese organic, grated
- 10 g basil leaves organic, chopped
- 4 eggs organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Add the olive oil and butter to an oven proof casserole dish and over a medium heat fry the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the rice and fry for 1 minute. Keep stirring.
- Add the white wine or vermouth and stir until it is all absorbed.
- Stir in the tomatoes and hot stock and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid or several layers of tin foil and cook in the oven for around 20 minutes until the liquid is all absorbed and the rice is tender.
- When the risotto has been cooking for 15 minutes, pour boiling water about 1 inch deep into a large frying pan. Keep the water to a simmer and gently break the eggs into the water. Let them simmer for 1 minute exactly. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the eggs in the water for 9 minutes. They should be ready at the same time as the risotto.
- Remove the risotto from the oven and stir in the parmesan cheese and leave it to stand for 5 minutes, which allows it to go all creamy.
- Stir in the basil leaves and serve with a poached egg on top of each portion.
In a hurry or not all eating together? Risotto should really be served straight away. As this doesn't require much attention during cooking, I would recommend getting everything ready, frying the onions and cooking the rest when ready. You can however re-heat a portion, but cook the poached egg to order.
Calories: 612kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 200mg | Sodium: 419mg | Potassium: 137mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 900IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 1.3mg