Vegetable Pot Pie
You can either do these in individual ramekin dishes or one large dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 cloves garlic organic, crushed
- 2 onions organic, diced
- 3 leeks organic, sliced
- 3 carrots organic, diced
- 300 g potatoes organic, peeled and diced
- 200 g mushrooms organic, diced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 14 g plain flour organic, 7g = 1tbsp
- 400 ml vegetable stock organic
- 100 ml single cream organic
- 2 tsp fresh thyme organic, leaves only, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh parsley organic, chopped
- 150 g frozen peas organic
- 500 g light puff pastry organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, leek and carrot and fry for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and mushrooms and cook for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and give them a good stir so they are well coated.
- Stir in the hot vegetable stock and cream and mix it all together until the liquid is smooth. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the herbs and frozen peas and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out the pastry and cut a strip 1½cm thick to go around the edge of the pie dish or dishes. Dampen the edge of the dishes with water and put the pastry strip around the rim of the dish.
- Fill the pie dish with the pie filling.
- Cut a circle or square pastry lid slightly bigger than your pie dish, dampen the top of the pastry strips and lay the lid on the top, sealing the edges with a fork. Put a few slits in the pasty lid to allow the steam to vent and cook in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the top is golden and puffed.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This can be prepared ahead of time and either cooked when ready or re-heated. These pies can be frozen for 3 - 4 months
Calories: 738kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 871mg | Potassium: 910mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 9800IU | Vitamin C: 57.8mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 6.3mg