Pulses, which include beans, lentils and peas are cheap, low in fat and a great source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. They even count towards your 5-a-day! This is a straightforward easy chilli that can be frozen. Serving suggestions. Baked sweet potato, baked potato or rice or tortillas
- 4 sweet potatoes about 180g each or see other serving suggestions
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 onions organic, peeled and diced
- 3 red peppers organic, deseeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 0.5 tbsp mild chilli powder organic, fairtrade
- 1 tsp ground cumin organic, fairtrade
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika organic, fairtrade
- 800 g chopped tomatoes organic, tinned
- 400 g cannellini, kidney or borlotti beans organic, fairtrade, drained
- 1 tsp oregano organic, fairtrade
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper organic, fairtrade, freshly ground
- 4 tbsp fat free soured cream organic, to serve, optional
- 4 tbsp guacamole organic, to serve, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Wash the potatoes and pierce the skins a few times with a fork and place in the oven for about 45 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and fry the onions, peppers and garlic over a medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, ground cumin and sweet smoked paprika, Stir and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, drained beans, oregano and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve with the potatoes, soured cream and guacamole.
In a hurry or not all eating together? The chilli can be made ahead of time and re-heated. It can be frozen for 6 - 9 months
Calories: 441kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 510mg | Potassium: 1228mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 31500IU | Vitamin C: 286.3mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 5mg