Winter Fish Pie
This no nonsense wintry version of fish pie has a lovely thick white sauce. There is no need to serve extra vegetable on the side as it's all added in, meaning you can leave it to cook and come home to a dinner all ready to serve. If you're in a rush, use a frozen fish pie mix. You can still freeze the fish pie after it has cooked.
- 1 kg potatoes organic
- 80 g kale organic, or spinach or cabbage, shredded
- 750 ml milk organic
- 250 g smoked haddock MCS certified
- 200 g white fish fillets MCS certified
- 50 g butter organic
- 360 g leeks organic, washed and sliced
- 3 tbsp plain flour organic
- 100 g prawns cooked, peeled, defrosted MCS certified
- 100 g frozen peas organic
- 1 lemons organic, fairtrade, zest only
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5
- Place a pan of lightly salted water on the hob to boil. Peel the potatoes and cut into 3cm² chunks. Place them in the pan and simmer for around 10 minutes until soft.
- Place the kale in a steamer and steam over the top of the potatoes for the last 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash, add a little milk or butter to soften if you like then leave to one side.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a large pan and add the fish. Bring the milk to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 6 - 7 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a large pan and gently fry the leeks for 4 - 5 minutes until soft, but not brown.
- Remove the fish from the pan and set it aside to cool. Pour the milk into a jug. Top tip. Put your milk pan into a bowl of hot water immediately, or it can be a pain to clean if it's like mine!
- Add the flour to the leeks and stir well. Over a low heat, gradually add all the milk, stirring all the time. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Carefully break the fish into chunks, leaving behind the skin and stir them into the sauce. Add the prawns, peas, kale and lemon zest.
- Place it all in an ovenproof dish, cover with the mashed potatoes using a fork to spread the mash to the edges.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Not all eating at the same time or in a hurry? This dish can be prepared in advance, kept in the fridge for 24 hours and baked when ready. You can also re-heat a portion You can freeze this dish for 1 month
Calories: 631kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 155mg | Sodium: 856mg | Potassium: 2109mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 5800IU | Vitamin C: 134.5mg | Calcium: 390mg | Iron: 5.8mg