Winter Vegetable Crumble
This is easy, quick and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a great mid-week dish.
- 2 carrots organic
- 350 g celeriac organic
- 450 g butternut squash organic
- 150 g sweet potato organic
- 50 g kale organic, shredded
- 15 g butter organic
- 7 g plain flour organic 7g = 1 tbsp
- 185 ml vegetable stock organic
- 250 g creme fraiche organic, reduced fat
- 1 cloves garlic organic, peeled and crushed
- ¼ tsp nutmeg fairtrade
- 40 g butter organic
- 40 g wholemeal plain flour organic
- 40 g ground almonds fairtrade
- 30 g Parmesan cheese organic or cheddar, grated
- ¼ tsp rosemary organic, finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5 and lightly grease an oven proof baking dish or individual ceramic pots if you prefer.
- Place a pan of lightly salted water on to boil and cut the carrots, celeriac, butternut squash and sweet potato into cubes about 1.5cm². Simmer the vegetables for 5 minutes until just tender.
- Drain the vegetables and tip into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the kale over the top.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the flour and stir well. Gradually add the vegetable stock, stirring all the time until the sauce is smooth.
- Add the creme fraiche and stir until the sauce is smooth again.
- Add the garlic, nutmeg and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the sauce over the top of the vegetables.
To make the crumble
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the almonds, parmesan and rosemary.
- Sprinkle evenly over the top of the vegetables and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Not all eating at the same time or in a hurry? This dish can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 3 - 4 days. You can also re-heat individual portions.
Calories: 641kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 307mg | Potassium: 953mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 24650IU | Vitamin C: 66.8mg | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 2.3mg