Winter Vegetable Stir Fry with Noodles
This is super quick, cheap and healthy too. Hoisin sauce has a much lower sodium content than soy sauce so is a good alternative for stir frys. Use any type of noodles, rice wheat or egg. Remember, root ginger can be frozen. Peel and cut it into chunks then grate from frozen next time.
- 4 nest noodles organic, fairtrade
For the sauce
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce organic, fairtrade
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar organic
- 1 tsp runny honey organic, fairtrade
- 1 lime organic, fairtrade, juice & zest
For the stir fry
- 3 tbsp ground nut oil organic
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 30 g root ginger organic, peeled and grated
- 6 shallots organic, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots organic, scrubbed, sliced into matchsticks
- 350 g broccoli organic or purple sprouting broccoli, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 green chilli organic, halved, de-seeded and sliced small pieces (optional)
- 80 g kale orgnaic
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds organic, fairtrade
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Boil the noodles until ‘al dente’, veering on the side of undercooked. Drain and rinse through cold water so they don’t stick. Set aside.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a cup and mix together until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pan over a medium to high heat. Stir fry the garlic, ginger and shallot for 1 minute.
- Add the carrot and 1-2 tablespoons of the stir fry sauce. Fry for 2 minutes until the carrot starts to soften.
- Add the broccoli, chilli and kale and 3-4 tablespoons of the sauce and stir fry for 3-4 minutes
- Add the noodles and the rest of the sauce. Use 2 forks and lift and turn the noodles in the pan for 2-3 minutes until they are properly cooked and coated in the sauce.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with the sesame seeds
Not all eating together or in a hurry? You can prepare all the vegetables in advance and mix the sauce together, then you will only need just under 10 minutes to have dinner ready! Tip! To loosen the skins on shallots, place them in a bowl of boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes then rinse under cold water. Trim off the top and root ends then give them a squeeze and the skins should come off easily.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 875mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 9550IU | Vitamin C: 187.3mg | Calcium: 270mg | Iron: 5.4mg