Baked cauliflower cheese pasta with spinach
This is a great comfort food dish. You can prepare this in advance and keep in the fridge for up to 2 days, so a good busy day dish!
- 575 g cauliflower organic, cut into florets
- 350 g pasta shapes organic, fairtrade
- 40 g plain flour organic
- 40 g butter organic
- 300 ml milk organic
- 300 ml vegetable stock organic
- 1/2 tsp English mustard organic
- 200 g mature cheddar cheese organic, grated
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg organic, fairtrade
- 100 g spinach organic
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F/gas mark 6 and bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Remove the tough outer leaves from the cauliflower and discard. Chop the head into small florets. Halve the thick stalk lengthways, then slice thinly.
- Place the cauliflower and pasta in the boiling water together, reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-9 minutes until the pasta is almost cooked and the cauliflower tender, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, sieve in the flour and add the butter, milk, hot vegetable stock and mustard. Bring to a boil stirring all the time then simmer until the sauce thickens. Add half the cheddar cheese and nutmeg and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Tip the pasta and cauliflower back into a large pan and stir in the spinach and cheese sauce. Tip everything into an oven proof baking dish and sprinkle over the remaining cheddar. (Store in the fridge at this point if necessary)
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
In a hurry or not all eating together? This dish can be prepared ahead of time and re-heated
Calories: 459kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 665mg | Potassium: 1293mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 9950IU | Vitamin C: 130.4mg | Calcium: 470mg | Iron: 4.9mg