Spanish Fish & Chickpea Stew
This Spanish dish is quick and easy. You can use any sustainable round white fish so see what's offer, coley or pollack for example. Serve it with anything, rice, couscous, mash or even crusty bread if you're in a real hurry.
- 200 g rice organic, fairtrade, to serve, optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 2 onions organic, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves organic, peeled and crushed
- 4 tsp sweet smoked paprika organic,
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar organic
- 800 g tinned tomatoes organic
- 400 g tinned chickpeas organic, fairtrade, drained and rinsed
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper fairtrade, freshly ground
- 4 white fish fillets about 150g each, boned, skinned cut bite sized chunks
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley organic, chopped, to garnish
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the rice as per the packet instructions, or prepare the couscous or mash.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5-8 minutes until it softens. Add the garlic, and paprika and fry for 2-3 minutes then add the balsamic vinegar.
- Add the tomatoes and chickpeas, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir together well. If you think it is too dry, add some cold water.
- Add the fish to the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve with the rice or couscous etc and garnish with the parsley leaves.
Not all eating together or in a hurry? Prepare the sauce in advance and keep it in the fridge. Bring the sauce back to a simmer when ready and add the fish. You can also re-heat a portion. This dish can be frozen for 6 - 8 months cooked. If you are making a batch, the best way to freeze it is to make the sauce, cool it, stir in the uncooked fish and freeze. To eat, defrost overnight in the fridge then re-heat in the pan until the fish is cooked through.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 859mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 72% | Vitamin C: 70% | Calcium: 9% | Iron: 27%